Friday, July 31, 2026

Wickford to Newport aboard Yamp Swankee

I sailed Yamp Swankee solo from the Long Point boat ramp at Wilson Park in Wickford to our mooring in Newport. I left the ramp around noon, with the tide starting to ebb. Forecast had been for 5 knots from the northwest, shifting to the southwest, but it was strangely ESE 5-10 to start. It gradually shifted more southerly and started building. A little past the north end of Jamestown, it was a steady 15 knots with higher gusts and I was overpowered so I hove-to to reef. By the time I got one reef in, it had gotten even stronger, so I hove-to again to put in the second. Finally, I was well in control, though the chop made for some spray and occasional pounding. It gradually lightened again down to probably 10-12 knots by the time I got to Newport and I was able to make one tack from north of Potter Cove (Jamestown), passing under the Newport Bridge just northeast of Rose Island and all the way to the harbor.

It was a multi-modal transportation day, as I took the bus from Newport back to Wickford, then rode my folding bicycle I had carried on the boat from the bus stop back to the car and trailer to drive home.